Thursday, November 10, 2016

Tokyo Tokyo Mt. Katsu Bento Meal

I had a meeting in Greenbelt last week, so I decided to have lunch inside the mall. I knew I wanted some kind of fast food, but I didn't want to go to my usual fast food places (i.e, Jollibee, KFC). Saw Tokyo Tokyo and tried it for a change.

Did you ever experience seeing something on display and wanting that exact same thing? That's what happened to me. Their menu on the screen prominently displayed what appeared to be fried chicken with toppings. I asked the cashier, "Ano yung nasa picture?", and she explained that it was chicken karaage with onion rings on top. She said that I can get it in a bento meal with a drink, rice, and  dessert for Php254.00. It was a bit pricey, but I really wanted the food in the picture, so I gave in.


I quickly changed my mind about the meal being pricey when I saw how big the chicken was! I think two people can share this chicken by just ordering some extra rice. Even the rice was plenty. I thought that the meal would come in a bento box but yeah, I don't think all that food would have fit in a bento box.


The chicken was meaty, tender, and juicy. It was covered in a sweet, slightly salty, and tangy sauce, almost like a teriyaki sauce. I liked how the crunchy breading complimented the juicy meat.



The onion rings on top had a light and crispy batter. I like how the onions inside still had some bite in them. Also, unlike some onion rings, you can actually taste the onion here. 

The fried chicken karaage plus the onion rings had an umay factor, but the rice, miso soup, and red iced tea that came with the meal balanced it out. Tokyo Tokyo has probably perfected cooking their Japanese rice, and I like how they sprinkle sesame seeds on it. As for the miso soup, it's as good as any miso soup. and it has lots of silky tofu and seaweed in it. The red iced tea was pretty standard.


The dessert turned out to be mango pudding. It's very very slightly sweet and has a tiny bit of mango flavor. It almost tasted like water. I wouldn't order this as a stand-alone dessert, but as a treat after a deep fried meal, it really worked for me.


I wasn't able to finish everything, and took away two slices of the chicken as well as a few onion rings. I eventually ate them while I was stuck in traffic later that day. They were still good!


For Php254.00, the Mt. Katsu Bento Meal gave me value for my money. It's a complete and delicious meal that can make one hungry person, or even two not so hungry people happy.


Be happy!

<3 Missy


No comments:

Post a Comment