Sunday, May 24, 2015

Yakult 26th 10 Miler Run

I just came from a run! :) Right now, I'm recovering. My legs hurt, but I feel great still.

This run is a run of many firsts for me, during this run, I, for the first time: 

(a) ran for 10 miles/16 kilometers, my longest distance so far; 
(b) ran alone (because my running buddy Ana Banana was taken away from me by her firm, huhu. :'( I'm still not giving up on you, buddy! <3);
(c) ran straight for around 20 minutes (I usually do just 5 to 10 and then walk); 
(d) ran through a flyover/upward and downward slope (I usually just walk through these);
(e) actually ate some breakfast before running (it helps!); and
(f) chafed myself (first one to guess where wins a prize, lol).

So yea, I'm feeling pretty good about those firsts now, except the last one. :| As the title of this post says, I joined the Yakut 26th 10 Miler Run. This is step 2 of me and my running buddy's goal of doing 21k by the end of this year. :D

Let me just say that this is the most organized run I have joined so far. But I guess it should be, since it's been around for 26 years already. Isn't that awesome? I got to be part of something which started when I was just about 2 years old. :)

I registered for this run pretty early, I think about 2 months ago. The registration fee is only Php500.00 for the 16k, which is pretty cheap. I guess it's because they don't give out finisher's medals. :|

Kit inclusions


For Php500.00, I got a singlet, a race bib, and instructions. The ad also said that I will get a finisher shirt and a bottle of Yakut after I finish the run.


Race Bib - Front


Race Bib - Back


This race bib is quite different from the ones I used during my previous runs. The back had a form wherein I could write my emergency information. It also had a built-in chip. I like how they went about this, very efficient and clean. :)


Instructions


I also liked how they had a no-fuss, straight-to-the-point set of instructions and guidelines for runners. Sometime after they gave these away, though, the organizers announced that the gun start will start a bit earlier, because of an event that will be held in Manila, which we had to avoid. I do hope everyone got to see this announcement before the race.


Route Map


I got to the event about twenty minutes before the start. Some people were already assembling by the start line.


The Start Line


Giant Yakult.


My fellow 10-milers. Huhu, I have no friends. Haha.


Before starting the race, there was a mini-program, Where Kuya Kim led us in prayer, and gave a weather forecast. It was pretty hot that day, 28 degrees actual temperature; 30 degrees heat index, which, according to Kuya Kim, factors in the humidity. He also gave us a tip: "Mas mabagal, mas mainit. Kaya bilisan ninyo!" So scientific, I know. :))


A blurred picture of Kuya Kim.


I loved the route for this run, because it didn't have many turns. It was a bit challenging tough, because we had to go through 2 flyovers twice, so that's 4 upslopes. Whew! And oh, the organizers did a last minute announcement, but it was no biggie. Because of that Manila event, we had to go counter-clockwise instead of clockwise.


Anti-cheating rope thingies.


They gave us these rope thingies at the route turns. I guess this is so they know we didn't cheat and make a shortcut.

I loved how they put more than the usual distance markers. I think I saw markers for 2k, 3k, 5k, 7k, 9k, 10k, 13k, and 14k. I don't know if its's just me, but seeing these markers as I went along the route gave me extra motivation to keep on going. :)

Also, they had about 6 water/Pocari stations, which is also more stations than what I've seen in the other runs I've attended. This helped me a lot, especially because I didn't bring my own water. 

I felt so triumphant when I finally finished. :D

After crossing the finish line, I was immediately handed my finisher shirt and freebies. Seriously organizing people, good job! :)


My Finisher Shirt and freebies, consisting of a bottle of Yakut and a surprise bottle of Pocari Sweat.


Booths and finishers.


The stage.


Giant Yakult again.


Since I was alone, I didn't hang around after finishing my run. (I know. I really should make new running friends :|).

According to Strava, I finished my run in 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 0.06 seconds. I'm not sure if this is good time but I'm super happy about it :D :D :D


My time according to Strava.


I'm excited to find out what my official time is! Will post it as soon as it's up. :)


Finisher Selfie with my precious little bottle of Yakult! <3


As I've said before, runs are fun! They give you a goal to work towards to, and give you that boost of confidence and sense of achievement after you finish a run. Also, it's not that hard to do. All you need are running shoes, and the ability to put one foot in front of the other, and so on. :D

So friends, let's run! :) :) :) My next goal is to do 21k. Join me? :D


Be happy!

<3 Missy.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Happy Girl. Write more. It is nice to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (f)nips (what is my prize?)

    ReplyDelete